Position Title Humane Educator
Job Classification Non-Exempt
Assignment Category Full time 24 hours per week – some weekends
Salary Range $14.00 - $17.00 per hour
Department Programs & Services
Reports to Programs & Services Manager
Job Description Summary
Under the general supervision of the Programs & Services Manger, the Humane Educator will utilize opportunities to provide presentations for school age children and other individuals to promote responsible pet care and motivate humane behavior in an effort to reduce the number of unwanted, abused and neglected animals in the community.
• In collaboration with the Programs & Services Manager, provide ongoing administration and development of education programs for students and adults.
• Organize and conduct classroom presentations in schools.
• Organize and conduct Pet Adoption Center’s tour program for outside groups/individuals (scouts, charter schools, etc.).
• Organize and conduct birthday parties.
• Develop and facilitate a scout program,
• Organize and conduct MSRPAC’s winter and summer camp sessions.
• Organize and conduct presentations for community organizations
• Participate in community events to promote responsible pet care
• Assess organizational needs and appropriate target populations; design, improve or tailor programs to meet those needs as appropriate.
• In conjunction with the Programs & Services Manager, continuously monitor the success of the humane education program and implement changes as necessary.
• Work within the humane education budget.
• Select or develop written materials that may be used by teachers and students to reinforce humane education.
• Maintain a library of educational materials (books, slides, visual aids etc.) for classroom use and other educational opportunities
• Attends offsite community events as needed such as vendor fairs, schools and other community activities.
• Develop and maintain good working relationships with community organizations and schools.
• Provide assistance to community groups, students, educators and the general public seeking information on animal related issues.
• Provides direction to volunteer for humane education activities and events including birthday parties, tours, scout courses, etc.
• Co-facilitates volunteers as required.
• Assists in networking and support of special events, and with development of new opportunities to build community awareness.
• Creates, prepares, and distributes meeting agendas and supporting documents.
• Creates presentations and supporting documents.
• Assists with communications and marketing in support of community outreach and humane education.
Other related duties as required.
• High School Graduate or 2-3 years equivalent experience in non-profit, or related field.
• Ability to perform well under pressure
• Ability to organize, supervise and motivate volunteers
• Experience and comfort delivering presentations to a variety of different age groups
• Good interpersonal skills required for working with a variety of individuals and groups
• Ability to effectively communicate the rationale for the Pet Adoption Center’s policies and procedures
• Possess a valid California Driver’s license with good driver history
• The ability to work well independently on several projects concurrently, and possess excellent communication, organizational and creative thinking skills.
• Software proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, is required;
• Excellent written and oral interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong initiative and customer service orientation; volunteer management skills an asset
• Experience and comfort in working with children.
• Able to lift 25 lbs.