Position Title Veterinary Assistant
Job Classification Non – Exempt
Assignment Category Part-time/ 24 hours per week (including weekends)
Salary Range $13.00 - $16.00 per hour
Department Animal Care
Reports to Animal Wellness Manager (RVT)
Job Description Summary
The Adoption Center Veterinary Assistant is responsible for providing quality care for all the pets and supporting the mission of the MSRPAC. The Adoption Center Veterinary Assistant will ensure that all pets stay healthy during their stay at the Pet Adoption Center.
• Possess in depth knowledge and understanding of veterinary medical concepts
• Feed and medicate center residents under medical care following veterinarian and RVT instructions
• Provide compassionate and quality patient care at all times
• Proficient in animal handling and restraint for various medical procedures
• Treat animals, volunteers and public with care and respect
• Document and communicate any patient concerns or observed changes to Veterinarian or RVT
• Daily monitor and rounding of all cats/kittens/dogs/puppies at the Center to ensure all remain healthy.
• Monitor and administer vaccinations as needed.
• Draw blood and test felines at intake.
• Monitor and administer all prescribed medication by a veterinarian as needed.
• Assists veterinarian at vaccine clinic.
• Update all medical information in the center software program.
• Work in collaboration with the Adoption/Intake Supervisor and Foster Care Coordinator with the intake of new animals to ensure health and adoptability, including relinquishments, transfers from local animal control facilities and fosters.
• Refer all health issues to local vets, keeping the Animal Wellness Supervisor informed.
• Provide transportation for animals to and from MSRPAC.
• Review all written reports by volunteers/staff regarding the health concerns of pets.
• Meet with volunteers when necessary to discuss the health of center residents.
• Train Adoption Center and Kennel Staff on performing vaccinations, microchips and medications.
• View MSRPAC Dog Socialization training videos
• Take and upload photos of animals at time of admission.
• Perform minor medical tasks such as vaccinations, microchipping and deworming.
• In conjunction with the Admissions Coordinator, assists in animal transports from municipal animal control agencies.
• Work positively with other members of the management team to accomplish department goals.
• Assists in monitoring play groups in age and temperament appropriate groups.
• Assists in enrichment program for center dogs and cats.
• Assists in updating all socialization boards
• In conjunction with the Admissions Coordinator and Wellness Manager, selects cats and kittens for in-store PetSmart store adoptions, transfers them and maintains a relationship with store staff.
• Possess critical thinking and multi-tasking skills
• Interact politely with the public and volunteers that are socializing the dogs and cats.
• Provide management with regular feedback about training needs, new hires, coworkers, interns, hospital needs, etc
• Collaborate professionally with other MSRPAC department managers and staff
• Support organization and departmental policies and protocols
• Maintain open mind regarding changes and be willing to learn, implement, and teach new protocols
• Ensure and maintain high quality standard of care, work ethic, and performance
• Attend staff meetings and training sessions
• Advise Supervisor of any conditions that are unsafe including unrecognized hazards or infractions of safety rules
• Other duties as assigned.
• 2 – 3 years Veterinary Assistant/Technician experience preferred
• Experience overseeing volunteers a plus.
• Reliable and trustworthy; sound decision-making skills.
• Strong verbal, writing & organizational skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Demonstrated ability to serve clients in a professional, welcoming, and efficient manner.
• Valid California driver’s license and legally required insurance.
• Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co-workers. Ability to work closely with other employees to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the agency.
• Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
• Able to lift 50 pounds